POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange : Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:14:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: assumed_gamma makes a lemon out of U and my orange
From: gonzo
Date: 12 Nov 2005 19:10:01
Message: <web.437683731f2346275e2aed360@news.povray.org>
"scott" <spa### [at] spamcom> wrote:

> They don't.  Most PC monitors (the ones I've measured) have a gamma of
> almost exactly 2.2.  This means, if you tell it to display RGB 128,128,128
> and measure the brightness, it will be 0.5^(2.2)=0.2 of the brightness of
> RGB 255,255,255.

Except... (there's always those damn exceptions!) it can't be strictly a
matter of your monitor, because I have a dual boot PC with Linux & Windows,
yet I cannot get the two to agree on display_gamma, even though its the
same hardware. With both set the same, what looks good in Linux will be too
dark in Windows.

And 2.2 is out of the question! If I set my display_gamma to 2.2, it doesn't
look right on anything else, and every scene I've ever rendered comes out
dark and oversaturated.

RG